Thursday, July 29, 2021

Short story Flash Fiction Entry #5

“Why do we have to go through a caaaveeeeee” Katie moaned for the thousandth time.  

I sighed “I already told you, mom can’t pick us up, and this is a shortcut, and if you stop whining and start walking, we’ll get there before midnight.” 

Katie replied, “we won’t get there before midnight, we’ll get lost, then die, then our corpses will be eaten by bats."

I said back, “that’s not going to happen, we’ll go home, have some dinner and in the morning, dad will be home to take us to school.” 

Katie rolled her eyes and we kept on walking.  

After a bit of silence, I noticed something glowing to my left, I stopped and turned.  

“Hey, Katie,” I called “there’s something in the rocks.” 

She ran over but I was closer and got there first. Quickly I picked up the rocks and pushed them to the side. When I was finally face to face with the source of the light, I covered my eyes because It was so bright. When I opened them again, the light became a soft glow in the dark, and pink. 

“Oh my gosh!” Katie squealed, “let me feel it!” 

Instinctively, I pushed the thing to my stomach, then looked at it. It was pinkish and had round eyes too big for its body. It also had a big goofy grin that would make your face melt. Foer some reason I squished it and it’s laugh sounded like a little kid trying to imitate Santa Claus.  

Katie looked over my shoulder. “What is it?” She asked. 

“I don’t know” I replied 

I handed the thing to Katie, who then ran around the room hugging it and saying “It’s so cute” repeatedly  

“Katie,” I sighed “If you can’t carry it and walk, I would prefer you leaving it here.” 

Katie moaned again, “we’re not getting out of this stupid cave, so this is how I’m spending my last moments.”  

“we’re not going to die!” I shouted, “And if you’re just going to stand here, I’ll go so at least one of us survives!” 

I started walking out of the part of the cave I was when and moved forward, choosing the next tunnels at random, and before I calmed down and thought things through, I was too far away to hear my sister say anything, or see the thing’s soft glow. I was alone, lots, and terrible.  

“I’m going to die here.” I told myself “I shouldn’t get more lost.”  

I wanted to find Katie, and apologize, and maybe that overcame whatever I called reason and started running, I ran until there was two pathways, left and straight. 

“there’s no way to figure out which way to go,” I told myself, “But wait, why was the left side glowing? Could it be the thing?”  

I took my chances and ran left, and any tunnel that was glowing, until I found the part of the cave where Katie was. She turned toward me.  

“Katie, I’m sorry.” I said, nearly crying. 

“Beca,” she asked. “How did you get back”  

“the thing,’ I said, pointing to the thing, “it made the tunnels I should go through glow, I think I can get us out of here.”  

Katie rolled her eyes, but she smiled and pet the things head. “We can try,” she replied.  


 


 

1 comment:

  1. i like the story, but how did "the thing" lead her, if her sister had it?

    ReplyDelete